E-Cig FAQ – E-Cigarette frequently asked questions
From where can I get ecigs, pipes and cigars?
- A simple search on the internet with the keywords ‘electronic cigarettes’ will get you to several websites where you can buy these. There are several manufacturers producing the product with their own flavors and technical design of the electronic cigarette. Before you buy, it is always a good idea to have some research done on your preferred manufacturer.
- Electronic Cigarettes are available from both retail shops and the shop of the manufacturer themselves. It is up to you to buy from. There are some retailers that might offer you discounted rates on the electronic cigarettes or the accessories required for them. Electronic Cigarettes are also available in street retail stores.
What is an electronic cigarette? How does it work?
- There is a huge article on this website that details how the phenomenon works. But for helping you understand the basics, an electronic cigarette depends on 3 core components to work; battery, nicotine filled cartridge and atomizer. The atomizer acts as a heater when the cigarette is turned on. When someone tries to inhale through the ecig, the atomizer warms up and causes the nicotine cartridge to produce vapor. The vapor then can be inhaled by the smoker, giving a realistic experience of an actual cigarette minus the harmful smoke. The vapor produced from the electronic cigarette is nothing more than water vapor, which means you can smoke indoors without the worry of odor or the dangers of passive smoking.
How do I turn on an electronic cigarette?
- Advanced technology has allowed manufacturers to install a mechanic on the atomizer that detects air when someone tries to inhale, causing the cigarette to auto power on. However, there are still some ecigs in the market that have manual switches on the atomizer. Before you can smoke, you need to flip the switch.
How to tell when to recharge the battery?
- Most electronic cigarette manufacturers put a little charge indicator that lets the user know that the ecig is running out of battery. But there are some ecigs that still don’t use this method. The best way to find out about the battery life of your ecig is to turn it on and start inhaling. If the vapor feels very mellow or out of place, it usually means that you need to recharge the cigarette battery.
- It is also important to know that some manufacturers give out starter kits that usually contain an extra battery so that you can continue using the ecig while the other battery charges. Keep in mind that if the desired amount and taste of vapor is not being produced, it usually means either the device has run out of battery or you have not inserted the nicotine cartridge properly. Refer to your product’s manual for help on how to install a cartridge properly.
What is the average charge life of a battery on an Electronic Cigarette and how long does it typically take to fully recharge a battery?
- It depends on many factors. Firstly, different manufacturers include different quality batteries that typically last longer. But on average, most electronic cigarette batteries offer a charge span of 3-4 hours before it needs to be recharged.
- As far as how long it takes to charge a battery, it typically depends on the power of the battery and the charger. On an average, a battery may require 2-3 hours before it is fully charged. Most electronic cigarettes have a LED that lets you know the status of the battery when it is charging. Just like a mobile phone, when the battery is completely charge, the LED turns green.
What is an average life of a battery?
- This too depends on the quality of the battery the manufacturer has included. On an average, a battery can offer up to 300 charges before it is completely dead. Several third party batteries are also available on the internet that offers more or less charges before the life of the battery completely diminishes.
Why should I switch over to electronic cigarettes?
Even though manufacturers of these devices are not allowed to advertise, the electronic cigarette is actually less harmful than the typical tobacco filled cigarette. Here are some of the main benefits of using an electronic cigarette over a typical tobacco filled cigarette:
- Does not contain tobacco or tar, but offers nicotine which is the main reason for smoking a cigarette.
- Because it does not produce harmful smoke, the water vapor from the cigarette dissipates as soon as you exhale. This allows you to enjoy intake of nicotine in places where smoking is forbidden.
- Electronic Cigarettes are free of all the harmful substances like carcinogenic substances, tar and combustion gases, meaning you get to enjoy the same effect with no harmful side effects.
- If compared to a typical tobacco filled cigarette, an electronic cigarette offers more value for money.
How is the experience of a nicotine filled cartridge compared to actual tobacco filled cigarettes?
- The nicotine filled cartridges of an electronic cigarette come in several different flavors but all of them have the same technology and ingredients behind to give you a near realistic simulated experience. Nicotine cartridges are made with propylene glycol, water, nicotine and a hint of tobacco sent that emulates the feeling and flavor of tobacco. These ingredients are also subject to discharge through a membrane on the cigarette when you start using one.
- According to the U.S Food and Drug Administration, the ingredient propylene glycol is deemed safe to use in edible products. The FDA has put forward a list that allows the use of the ingredient in food, medicine and certain cosmetics. However, it is important to know that electronic cigarettes are not on the list as of yet.
What is released when I exhale the vapor from an electronic cigarette?
- As mentioned earlier, Electronic Cigarettes have ingredients that are optimal for giving a near realistic experience of an actual tobacco filled smoke. But instead of inhaling pure smoke which is a result of several harmful substances from combustion of tobacco, you simply inhale and exhale a vapor. The vapor contains all the ingredients from the nicotine cartridge to give you a simulated smoking experience.
- When you exhale the vapor it immediately evaporates in the air leaving no smoke or odor in the atmosphere. A vapor is virtually non-harmful to you because it only contains the ingredients that are inside the nicotine cartridge. As for typical cigarettes, many harmful substances enter our body when the tobacco is burned.
What is Propylene Glycol?
- Propylene Glycol is the most important ingredient inside an electronic cigarette cartridge. It is used in most cosmetics, food and medicines to give them coloring or flavoring. The ingredient is also added to products to give them moisture. In electronic cigarettes, the ingredient is added to make the vapor look and feel like smoke, while also keeping the contents of the nicotine cartridge safe from losing flavor or drying out.
- The U.S Food and Drug Administration deem the ingredient safe for use in food, medicine and cosmetics. However the list offered by the FDA does not include the use of the ingredient inside an electronic cigarette as ‘safe’ yet.
How much nicotine content is available in a cartridge?
Depending on the brand of electronic cigarette you buy, each one comes with a different quantity and quality. Refer to your manufacturer for complete details on the nicotine content available on a particular cartridge. On average nicotine cartridges have 0-18 mg of nicotine, but some are designed to offer you even more. Here is how you can find out what nicotine cartridge suits your needs:
- High capacity: These cartridges have 18mg of nicotine which is the same amount as a regular cigarette.
- Medium capacity: These cartridges have 12mg of nicotine content and are best compared to light cigarettes of any brand.
- Low capacity: These cartridges have 6mg of nicotine content and are best compared to ultra light cigarettes of any brand.
- Zero capacity: These cartridges have 0mg of nicotine content and are usually designed to give you a simulated experience of smoking without nicotine.
What is nicotine?
- Nicotine is best described as an alkaloid. It is widely present in certain plants but tobacco is the main source of the substance. Nicotine is also available in vegetables like green peppers, potatoes, and cauliflower and egg plants. Some nicotine is also found in certain teas. When consumed through a cigarette, nicotine gives the effects of calmness, alertness and relaxation. These effects can last from minutes to hours depending on the quantity consumed. Nicotine is dimmed highly addictive and can easily cause addiction when consumed especially through a cigarette.
Can electronic cigarettes cause nicotine poisoning?
- Nicotine poisoning is common with nicotine patches and gums, but with an electronic cigarette, nicotine poisoning is not possible. The nicotine content on a cartridge is not as strong as a regular cigarette hence poses no threat of an overdose.
Can Nicotine Cause Cancer?
- Contrary to popular belief, no, nicotine does not cause cancer. An ongoing research has proved that nicotine has many advantages and disadvantages, but it does not cause cancer. There are several other research papers available over the internet that can guide you through the causes caused by consuming nicotine. A regular cigarette however does cause cancer but this is not due to nicotine, it is mainly due to tar content that is created and consumed after the combustion of tobacco, which also releases several other harmful substances into the body.
How long does a single cartridge of an electronic cigarette last?
The answer of this question depends on different factors. First of all, depending on how often and with what intensity you smoke, the life of a cartridge may be more or less. Secondly, every manufacturer has a different technology with their cartridges, allowing you to have a long lasting cartridge as opposed to others. Following are the approximate times that a cartridge may last.
- A mini style cartridge offered by most manufacturers lasts approximately that of an ½ pack of a traditional cigarette.
- A pen style cartridge usually lasts equal to 1 ½ – 2 packs of regular cigarettes.
- A cigar style cartridge usually lasts equal to 2 or more packs of regular cigarettes.
How long does an electronic cigarette cartridge survives on a shelf?
- Depends on the storage, if a cartridge is stored in a cool and dry place, it should last about 24 months on shelf from manufactured date.
Is it possible to refill an electronic cigarette cartridge with nicotine solution?
- Yes, it is possible however, manufacturers have strictly outlined in their terms and conditions that using cartridges made by third party will void you of warranty. If you do intend to use nicotine solution purchased through an outlet or through the web, be informed that your electronic cigarette will no longer be in warranty. Nicotine solutions tend to increase the life of the cartridge and can enhance flavor, this is why some people intend to use these solutions.
When and how do I know that my cartridge is ready to be refilled?
- Generally when the vapor strength fades away and you can no longer feel the flavor that you always get from your electronic cigarette, this is considered an ideal time to change or refill the cartridge. However, keep in mind that sometimes optimal flavor may not be produced due to low charge on your battery.
- Another way to find out the life of a cartridge is to simply take it out from the electronic cigarette and look at its appearance. If the nicotine solution looks dry and white, it will denote that the life of cartridge has been finished.
Do electronic cigarettes come with warranty?
- Absolutely yes, most manufacturers include a warranty with their device. The standard warranty offered by most manufacturers is 1 year minimum. This warranty includes manufacturer defects mostly. If you somehow lose your electronic cigarette or it becomes a victim of an accident, the warranty will not cover it. Some manufacturers clearly state that the warranty does not include certain components of the device. For example, some manufacturers will not cover the battery or charger in their warranty. Batteries and chargers are widely offered through respective manufacturers as accessories and can be purchased out of the starter kit.
Do electronic cigarettes come with money back guarantee?
- Yes, they do. However, it is important that you check this with your choice of manufacturer. There are several manufacturers that offer full refund 30 day guarantee, while others do not offer this.
Does the vapor produced from an electronic cigarette have smell?
- Yes, but the smell produced from the vapor is barely noticeable unlike traditional cigarettes. The smell from cigarettes or cigars are normally considered displeasing because the smell from these can last hours in confined places such as rooms and cars. But vapor from an electronic cigarette has no such properties that leave displeasing odor in the room or car.
Is it possible to smoke electronic cigarettes in places where traditional cigarettes are banned?
- Yes, because electronic cigarettes do not produce harmful smoke and are also non-flammable, it is completely possible to smoke an electronic cigarette in places where otherwise the traditional tobacco filled cigarette has been banned. Many users who have used the electronic cigarette report that they had no problem with authorities when smoking an electronic cigarette in public places such as restaurants, public parks, airports and work places.
What is the legal age to purchase an electronic cigarette?
- Same as traditional cigarettes. No person who is under the legal age of smoking in your respective country can purchase or smoke an electronic cigarette.
Is it safe to smoke an electronic cigarette in pregnancy?
- No, just like traditional tobacco filled cigarettes, the use of electronic cigarettes while pregnant, is deemed harmful and dangerous by the nursing and health staff all over the world. If you still want to smoke an electronic cigarette while pregnant, it is important to consult your doctor if you want to avoid harmful effects.
Can electronic cigarettes be taken as smoking cessation products?
- No. Electronic cigarettes are not to be taken as smoking cessation products. No such research has proven that these devices are an effective mode of bringing smoking to an end. Manufacturers and suppliers are also disallowed to advertise these products as cessation products.
Can Electronic Cigarette be taken as nicotine replacement therapy?
- No, same as above. While a lot of people have reported that they have permanently moved to electronic cigarettes from traditional smokes, no such research has proven that these are effective. Once again manufactures and suppliers are disallowed to advertise the product as a nicotine replacement therapy. Until and unless more solid evidence is acquired through research, electronic cigarettes remain an alternative to smoking.
Is an electronic cigarette healthier than traditional cigarettes?
- No such research claims that electronic cigarettes are safer than traditional cigarettes. Because the product is relatively new, it is important to note that some side effects of the electronic cigarette may occur after ten years of use. This is why no such evidence is available that claims electronic cigarettes are safer than tobacco filled counterparts. Until and unless solid evidence is produced, you are advised to remain cautioned when using an electronic cigarette.
Has an electronic cigarette been approved by the FDA?
- No. FDA has not yet approved electronic cigarettes to be safe. This is due to relatively short life span of the electronic cigarette. Since the product is still new in the market, no solid evidence has been found that claims electronic cigarettes are 100% safe to smoke.
How different does an electronic cigarette tastes from a regular cigarette?
- A number of manufacturers offer different flavors and nicotine strength cartridges. Depending on what flavor you choose and what strength the nicotine is, the taste can resemble the real thing. However keep note that most people who have used the electronic cigarette report that even the highest level of strength is not equally fulfilling as the real thing. Most users describe electronic cigarettes equal to light versions of tobacco filled cigarettes even with highest strength levels.
How much can I save if I use electronic cigarettes?
- It is widely known that electronic cigarettes offer you a more cost effectiveness compared to traditional tobacco filled cigarettes. Traditional cigarettes have come to a price that is now twice as high compared to last two years. Compared to this, the electronic cigarette offers you plenty of savings. A typical cartridge lasts equal to a single pack of cigarette and most manufacturers offer a 5pack of cartridges for as low as $8.99. This means that you will be able to get 5 packs of cigarettes for only $8.99 when you are on electronic cigarettes. It is also important to keep in mind that the initial cost of the electronic cigarette is generally high, with some manufacturers selling their starter kits at $124.99.
Does an electronic cigarette require maintenance?
- Yes. Generally speaking, an electronic cigarette requires maintenance from time to time. This maintenance usually consists of charging up battery and changing the cartridges. But sometimes an atomizer of an electronic cigarette goes bad and requires replacement. In order to keep your electronic cigarette from going bad, it is advised to keep it in a cool and dry place away from high temperatures. This can usually be done by keeping a carrying case with you at all times if you are out and about. Some manufacturers include a cleaning cycle onto their product which automatically cleans that device about every 1500th puff.
Where can I buy electronic cigarette cartridges?
- Most manufacturers sell cartridges for their electronic cigarette through their online webstore. Cartridges can also be bought from retail stores that deal with electronic cigarettes. It is often recommended to buy cartridges from the manufacturer’s store. Some manufacturers also have a monthly subscription that allows them to send cartridges on monthly basis to the users.